The holiday season is among us. While it is a great time to gather with family and friends, the holidays can also bring a lot of temptation and sickness. Here are some tips to help keep you and your family healthy this holiday season.
- Wash your hands - This should be a year round rule but especially during the holiday months. Winter is the prime "sick season" so wash your hands more than usual to avoid the germs. Keeping hand sanitizer on your person is another great way to keep those hands clean.
- Indulge in moderation - Believe it or not there are ways to eat healthy during the holidays. Just be extra cautious of portion size as it is easy to overeat and choose healthy options at home. When attending holiday parties bring a healthy entr´e;e to share with others.
- Stay active - Even though the holidays can be very busy make sure to set aside time to exercise. Exercise is just at important during the holidays as any other time of year. Combine family time and exercise by heading to the ski hill or ice rink; both are great forms of exercise.
- Stay warm - Cold holiday temperatures can have negative health effects especially in young children and older adults. Be sure to wear the proper gear when engaging in fun outdoor winter activities like skiing or sledding.
Preventing Falls During the Winter
Icy, wet winter weather conditions can cause unsafe roads, sidewalks and parking lots. Here are some ways to prevent falls during the winter months.
- Wear proper footwear with adequate traction
- Take smaller steps
- Don't run on icy ground
- Keep hands free for balance
- Use handrails if available
- Use salt on driveway and sidewalks
- Go sideways on incline
- Carry your phone in case of emergency
- Low Back Pain
- Sciatica Pain
- Neck Pain
- Knee Programs
- Shoulder Programs
- Pregnancy Related Back Pain
- Balance and Fall
- Muscle and Joint Pain
- Sports Related Injuries
- Ergonomic Assessments
...with more always being developed